Monday, July 20, 2009

Moving Meltdown

“Where’s your bathroom?”

 

Without waiting for an answer, the coarse Dominican mover pushed past me, clomping into the apartment.

 

“You’ll have to wait.  Your partner’s still in there,” I said sourly, crossing my arms.  Fifty minutes late, and the first thing they do is use my bathroom?  They’d better not count this as moving time – if they went over an hour I’d have to pay the $350 extortion fee they charged!

 

My grumpiness wasn’t entirely their fault.  I was on edge; it was my last day in the city.  And I wasn’t just wrapping up loose ends – I still hadn’t tied half of the things that needed to be done.  The list went on and on.  I didn’t have one spare second before my flight that evening. 

 

Poor planning – it creeps up on you.  Suddenly, at the last minute there are a hundred things to do you haven’t even thought of.  But if everything went smoothly, I’d have enough time.  If…

 

Waiting for the movers to get to the apartment my mind churned.  Blame it on inflexibility but it really irks me when people are late – it’s disrespectful, unprofessional, and downright rude. It’s kind of like saying: my time is more valuable than yours – you should run on my schedule because I have more important things going on.  With a concerted effort I pulled myself up short.  Be reasonable, I sternly told myself; it wasn’t the movers’ fault I planned such a tight schedule.

 

When the disheveled, tobacco-stained workmen arrived late I managed to bite my tongue.

 

When they walked in and took back-to-back bathroom breaks, I gritted my teeth – yelling at them wouldn’t speed anything up.  Then they started moving my things.

 

“Be careful with that!” I said again and again; as I watched the movers carelessly toss my possessions into huge wheeled-containers to move into the elevator.  Each time the main mover told me not to worry in his thick Dominican accent.  Clearly not listening, he seemed to get increasingly careless by the minute.  Cringing, I watched helplessly as his gloved hands crumpled my parchment Danish floor lamp.

 

As the elevator doors shut, I gave the apartment one last once-over for things to put in storage, grabbed my curtains, and raced down the stairs.  We needed to get over to the storage facility as quickly as possible – I didn’t want to pay them for another hour!

 

I ran up to their truck.  They were still packing everything into the back but the cramped cab looked as if it would barely hold the three burly men.  Where was I going to sit?  “When are we leaving?  Where should I sit?”  I asked, still worried about the time.

 

The shorter balding man I took to be the leader gave me an annoyed glance and replied in a surly voice. “We’re not taking you there.”

 

This caught me completely off guard.  The storage facility had assured me the movers would take me; the moving company had backed them up.  I had counted on the ride – I hadn’t even written the storage place’s address down, let alone directions there.  “But … but how am I going to there?  They told me you were giving me a ride…” I

 

“Who told you that?” the man sneered condescendingly.

 

 “The guy from your company promised you would.  How am I supposed to get there when you do?  I don’t even have the address!” 

 

“You can take a taxi or the subway to XXXX.  Do whatever you want but we can’t take you,” he shrugged me off, turning back to the truck.

 

With that my helplessness vanished.  Anger replaced it – they were taking advantage of me. “Your company promised you’d give me a ride.  You’re late, rude, and now you won’t even keep your word?”

 

“Hey lady, I don’t know what your problem is but we aren’t a taxi service,” with that he pointedly turned back to the boxes.

 

Something inside me flipped.  Shaking, I exploded into an unthinking ball of fury. I can’t believe you are acting like this! F you!  F you guys.  You are a bunch of F-ing A-holes!!!”

 

Nobody has ever talked to me like that before you little B….”

 

I searched for the worst thing I could possibly say.  “I … I … I hope your mother dies!”  With that I turned my heel and stalked toward the subway.

 

I had walked the route hundreds of times but with the thick smog of anger clouding my brain I took a wrong turn.  Blocks out of my way enough of the rage had dissipated for me to realize my mistake.  Figuring out where I was and how to get to the subway required me to use my mind and as my brain started working the towering inferno of anger was gone leaving behind a few smoldering embers.  Standing waiting for the train I realized the sheer stupidity of my outburst.

 

The movers had all of my things in their truck.  If they wanted to, they could damage or destroy any or all of my things, they could take as long as they wanted, or worse yet just never deliver my things….  I was at their whim.  I had to call the storage company and tell them my side of the story.

 

There wasn’t much reception underground, but I figured the sooner I called the better. Halfway through telling the man on the other end the story reception cut out.  Moments later my train arrived – I’d call back when I got to the moving place. 

 

When the train pulled into the station, I had a message.  It was the moving company.  The manager was convinced I had hung up on him and was furious with me.  When I called back he didn’t calm down.  He didn’t want anything to do with me. 

 

It took a lot of work but the manager had convinced the movers to take my things to the storage facility and drop them off at the dock.  I would have to figure out how to get them up to my storage locker on the fifth floor myself.

 

When I tried to tell my side of the story and plead my case, the man told me I was lucky he managed to get them to take my things there and slammed the phone down.

 

Fighting tears back I reached the storage facility.  The man at the front desk took one look at my red eyes and trembling lip, and in the most compassionate voice possible asked me what was wrong.

 

In the face of opposition it is easy to keep up a brave front.  If there is something to struggle against or focus on then holding off the tears comes almost second nature.  But warmth, caring, and understanding open the floodgates.  In a mater of moments tears were streaming down my cheeks and I was trying to choke out my side of the story.

 

I had overreacted but they had been late and rude and unprofessional.  I was upset.  Now the company was leaving my things on the loading dock!

 

Everything would be okay the man assured me.  He would take care of everything.  Movers could be rude – it was unprofessional to be late.  It was even worse to go back on your word. He would make sure the movers finished the job.  That is what they were being paid for – it would look bad for the company if they didn’t.  With that he phoned the moving company.

 

The movers arrived; finished the job, and I apologized for my behavior.  I am extremely thankful that that wonderful man was there to smooth everything over, but I’m not sure what would have happened if he hadn’t been.

 

*  *  *

 

Irrational, uncontrollable fits of rage – head injury “episodes” as I refer to them – are one of the most terrifying aspects of brain injury.  It feels as though you are swept away in the grip of your emotions.  While they hold you in their grip you are powerless to act of your own volition.  You watch yourself say terrible things that you would never think to utter of your own accord.

 

Heightened emotions, emotional liability with turn on a dime mood swings, inappropriate language, and problems with anger are common aspects of brain injury.   Closer to the injury the survivor may not even be aware he is demonstrating this behavior, but it is important to be aware that these are merely aspects of the injury, and not the survivor.  The best thing to do is to redirect the survivor’s attention, remain supportive, and above all not to take anything the survivor says in their outburst to heart.

 

Thankfully for me these episodes happen with less and less frequency.  I have not experienced an episode of that magnitude for years but they are never good.  The usual suspects – heightened stress and lack of sleep are contributing factors but the outbursts are unfortunately quite unpredictable. 

 

By all means try and keep on a regular schedule, get enough sleep, do what you can to lead a stress-free life, and stay away from overwhelming situations.  However, I know all too well that this is not always possible.  In retrospect, the majority of my episodes happen when I feel overloaded, as if I have to do everything alone – fight for myself.  Having a strong support system is essential.  Be it friends, family, brain injury support groups, or other organizations, having people in your life who understand, can help redirect and diffuse situations like this in your life may help prevent a potential next one…

 

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Yes. You captured it in words after living it. I call it "flame on" and although people say my head injury wasn't that bad - it changed my personality to one where now I get mad, really mad, stark raving mad, in an instant. It isn't pretty and it gets me in more hot water than being the sweet, calm person I use to be. Thanks for the honest description. More power to you. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last 3 blogs are a great series, making your points vividly and effectively. Blog on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ever let people downplay your head injury. ALL brain injuries can have terrible life-long effects and the severity of the damage does not always correspond to the impact it has on your life.

    The episodes, "flame on," are terrible ESPECIALLY for people who are generally sweet, calm, and even-tempered. Friends will put up with a lot from people they expect to throw tantrums or be irrational, but a normally responsible, intelligent, rational friend suddenly flipping out is terrifying. For everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was generally easy going and calm before my accident.Honest.

    Since the accident, I have:
    - freaked out in my neurologists office over paperwork (not endearing the staff to me)
    -had a meltdown in the middle of the grocery store (they moved my bread)
    - and resorted to scrawling all sorts of imaginative four letter words on the side of a large box in permanent marker.. left it in the doorway so the bf would see it (it was better than breaking or throwing things).

    I have struggled with inadvertently making people mad at me, and I think this may be one of the hardest things to deal with... because as soon as you are alone/isolated/lonely, everything seems to get worse.

    I think that the one thing I have learned to do that I had never done before is learned how to stick up for myself. I have never been assertive (I was even in the military!). Now, I calmly inform people that things just are the way they are, and could they please help me ...I've got a head injury.

    Hope you are doing well. ;)
    -HMCraig

    ReplyDelete