Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Another piece of the puzzle (Connections III)


Therapy.  The word has so many negative connotations.  When I got out of the hospital my parents had to drag me there.  I hated being in another clinical building.  I loathed cognitive therapy; I detested occupational therapy, and despised speech therapy.  They kept telling me I was injured when I clearly wasn’t, or so my anosognosia*-addled brain told me. 

 

But didn’t I just recommend focusing on therapy and working towards improvement? 

 

Unquestionably.  But though traditional therapy is important, alone it is not always as effective for brain injury survivors.  I believe that using whatever means available to improve.  Therapy does not have to mean traditional therapy or be held in a clinic to work well.  In fact, alternative therapies have been proven to have some extraordinary results. 

 

Every person is unique and so different survivors respond better to different types of therapy.  In deciding what type of therapy to try, it is better to look at the person than the injury.  Likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses.  Enroll in types of therapy that best suit the patient.  The more he enjoys what he is doing the more effective it will be.   Music, riding, dance, art, horticulture, and recreation are among seemingly endless list of recognized therapies.

 

But not every therapy is equally effective for all patients.  It is extremely important to find the right fit.  Alternative therapies can help every aspect of life; many types of alternative therapy such as animal assisted therapy, hippotherapy (riding therapy), and recreational therapy encourage social interaction, cultivate empathy, and help rebuild social skills.  Rebuilding these skills and relearning how to connect is the next step on the path.

 

Another wonderful benefit of therapy is that your classes can be a social goldmine.  Not only are the people in these sessions fellow survivors, but they also share similar interests.  The more you have in common with someone the easier it is to talk, start conversations, and bond with them.  Start a conversation and see what happens.  Chances are you will find that you have more in common you’re your classmates than you might have thought.

 

After a session, say hi to one of your fellow patients and see where your conversation takes you.  Having a friend in therapy can motivate and inspire both of you to do your best. 


 

 

*Anosognosia is a fascinating condition in which the brain cannot recognize injury or change.  It occurs in over half of right hemisphere stroke victims and many brain injury survivors and can cause patients to be resistant to therapy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dorothy,

    I am also a head injury survivor. Like you, I have managed to create a quasi-normal life in a society that makes very little sense, and is a bit terrifying. I maintain a normal job, and am reluctant even to say the words head-injury in connection with myself. I can identify with the anosognia, and also with the need to reach out to others in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete