Friday, February 20, 2009

Hindsight is 20/20




“I wonder why you sometimes don't do what you know would help-you've given us several examples: not crying on J's shoulder, not getting enough sleep, not eating enough.”


Often outsiders wonder precisely this about brain injury survivors' actions as this insightful blog reader.  So many problems could just be avoided if survivors would simply listen to what doctors’ advice.  In my case it’s even stranger – I know the right thing to do – why don’t I just take my own advice? 


To ease your mind dear reader, though I do struggle with TBI, and the deficits remain, at this point they are shadows of their former intensity.  For the purposes of this blog however, I am focusing on this aspect of my life to better illustrate these entries in order to help educate, inspire, and offer guidance.  However, because of this I give examples of what I am doing wrong, and point out how to do it right in hopes others can learn from my mistakes.  Even though it may sound like my life is a constant battle, I simply don’t write about the good days because they aren’t informative, interesting, and don’t have much to do with brain injury.  In other words, though I had a delightful Valentine’s day with J, writing about the beautiful roses he gave me, our phenomenal dinner, or any other part of the perfect evening, simply did not seem pertinent.  However had this been the sole reason I would not have found it necessary to devote an entire blog entry in response to this comment.…

The other, more complex reason, is a hallmark characteristic of brain injury - poor judgment. Distracted by excitement, caught up in the moment, or locked in a single-minded “need” to get things done, one can push through, oblivious to the warning signs.  To make things worse, the more fatigued, agitated, or focused a survivor becomes, the harder it is to step back and listen to what your body is telling you until it is too late….

My stubborn nature and drive to always push myself further, beat the odds, and prove my self-sufficiency has served me well in many ways.  I believe it has given me the strength to come as far as I have, and has made me who I am today.  However, there is a time to push forward, and there is a time to listen to what your body is telling you. 

Unfortunately I have not yet mastered the art of recognizing when to say when.  I can and do overextend myself, refuse support (not wanting to be a burden), stay out too late, and generally ignore what my body is telling me.  Curiously, the more I take on, the more energized and invincible I feel.  When I get to this euphoric state and push past the brief “nap threshold,” as I refer to the point when exhaustion washes in, whether it is an emotional meltdown, a TBI episode, or me just getting sick, the outcome is never good.  

After the fact I realize exactly what I should have done, and generally kick myself for it. “Hindsight is 20/20” could practically be my slogan.  However, in the heat of the moment on the other hand, stopping isn’t even an option, and unfortunately, a common problem.
Fortunately it is not an insurmountable one.  Brain injury is a desperately lonely thing. This is, however, a time where you need your friends, family, and support the most. It is extremely important to be open with your family and friends about challenges you face.  An outsider’s perspective and a little common sense go a long way in diffusing the situation before it goes too far. 


It isn’t difficult, all it takes are a few gentle prompting words to guide the survivor towards thinking about the consequences of their actions.  This may take the form of suggesting a nap, recommending you cut down your course load (or not taking on so much) in order to do better at a few things (and giving some examples of what could potentially happen), reminding the survivor they have to get an early start.  This is merely another way suggestibility can be used to guide survivors towards wiser decisions.   So many crises truly are avoidable if the situations are correctly handled.  Calmer days are just around the corner….

5 comments:

  1. I believe the tales of your good days can add insight and especially hope to those with TBI, as it reinforces that "normal" days can/will happen. It would also be a nice reminder and gauge of how far you have come :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its hard for me to fully comprehend other survivors maladies because i am the exception to rule in regards to survivors. my problems r wholly physical yet catastrophic. i only have a little emotional lability which is troublesome because if i'm happy i'm smiling biggly, if sad i look awful.
    but i have no real cognition issues so its difficult for me to understand your plight, its weird our tbi r so similar yet our symptoms r wholly opposite. my problem is that people dont understand me, they believe i'm retarded because i am mute, but i am far from that. i am college educated with a degree in history and physics. if people would just take the time to get to know me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OF course, I came to your blog as you suggested and found something I needed: advice to slow down.

    I am really going to have take a medical withdrawal from one of my classes even four this semester is just too much.. totally melting down.

    Its hard to accept because the old me could have done this- shoot even tbi me- a years or so could have done this but because of all the surrounding stress-its too much. COgnitive fatigue is really setting in with a sort of immediate permanence. Not so much that it will last forever but that it is present all the time right now.

    I dont know what is on the other end of the gray overwhelmed pushed my tbi brain too far rainbow. I have always wonders what happens if I pushed all the way.. I have always wondered. Alas, I know in my heart-if you push too hard all the way-there is nothing at the end of that gray rainbow. No success, nothing to be proud of-just a huge, "I shouldn't have done that." that hits the floor with a great big thud. "If I wouldnt have been so stubborn, I could have made this or that a real success."

    So the lesson I am learning is-I cannot have it all this way. I can only have it all if I do it slow and carefully. Its really tough and no fun. It sucks big time getting slowed down but Im glad I am learning to stop myself.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont have any trouble falling into a deep sleep!I do streaching exercises before I lie down,and first thing when I wake up!

    ReplyDelete