Friday, December 26, 2008

Was Bing Crosby the Nostradamus of our time?


I misspoke about there being no warm weather until spring.  Though New York had a very wet Christmas Eve, it was hardly a white one.  "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas - just like the ones I used to know".... was this really a dark prediction?  Was Bing Crosby really writing about global warming?  

This Christmas eve, was lovely; I went to dinner with J, his mother, aunt, and another friend of his at an Italian restaurant called Bice.   I am afraid my friend D has forever ruined Italian food for me, by setting the bar so high with his phenomenal cooking.  I know what great Italian food should be, which makes anything less is somewhat of a disappointment.  Bice is a nice restaurant, and the food was edible, just not anything spectacular.  In my humble opinion, it certainly did not deserve the acclaim it has received.  The company and atmosphere, however, more than made up for the uninspired cuisine, and the meal was quite pleasant.  

After dinner we went to midnight mass at St. Thomas on fifth Episcopal church - an experience every music lover, regardless of their faith, should have at least once.  St Thomas has the only boys choir school in the states, so music is one of the church's main focuses, and they really pull out all the stops on Christmas Eve.  The majestic stone structure and intricately carved alter is a perfect venue for the 45 minute chamber music concert and the angelic voices of the Men and Boys' choir.  I can't think of a better way to spend a Christmas Eve.

By the time J's mother and aunt dropped me off at home it was 2:30 a.m.  I was so exhausted I barely had enough energy to brush my teeth before collapsing into bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment