Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Trials and Tribulations of the Directionally Challenged

Among the more upsetting side-effects of my head injury is the fact that I am still unable to well, find my way out of a paper bag.  No matter how many times I walk, drive, or travel, even the simplest route, there remains a high probability that I will find myself hopelessly lost.  I have come to accept that I am pathetic at finding places, but it never ceases to amaze (frustrate) me when I find myself lost in a familiar area. I have been living in the City for three years, give or take a little vacation time here and there and 6 months hiatus in Budapest.  In that time I've learned to navigate some parts of the city pretty well, provided they're set up on a grid (forget about downtown).  

 Catherine Deneuve is unquestionably one of my favorite actresses, so when I heard she had a new film out this year, Un Conte de Noel (A Christmas Tale), I couldn't wait.  I made plans to meet up with a friend and see it on Tuesday.  The film was at 6:55, but we were going to meet at 6:30 to get tickets.  She texted me at 5:50 saying she was at a coffeshop at  64th and Broadway, and I told her I was on my way.  Before I left the library (at 40th and 5th) I checked the address of Lincoln Plaza Cinema, where we were meeting (Broadway between 62 and 63rd).  I'd pick up some kettle corn on my way to the theater.

As I stepped outside a harsh blast of wind and snow blindsided me - no beautiful fluffy cotton-ball flakes drifting down here.  This was millions of insidious little flecks of half-frozen ice posing as snow coming at me from every direction.  I quickly put up my umbrella to fend off the onslaught.  Within a few blocks the icy cold wind had blown every ounce of sense out of my head. I could have taken the train, but I'd made up my mind to get that kettle corn - I was determined, I had time, it wasn't that far.  The theater was at 67th and Broadway, wasn't it?

When I reached Columbus Circle I checked my phone to make sure I was okay on time - I'd missed a call!  My friend had called - it was after 6:30!  This snow wasn't helping anything.  Suddenly I was lost - did Broadway go through Central Park?  Surely it didn't stop and start again after - it couldn't!  I'd walked it before.  How did this work again? I walked back and forth trying to figure it out chastising myself for being so stupid.  I would figure it out it- I had to!

Maybe I should take the subway, but what if the train took forever - it was only a few blocks. No, I couldn't give up ... I would find my way there ... I was on a mission!  Finally I remembered that Broadway moved West of 8th at Central Park, I still had time to make it if I hurried.  I lengthened my stride, trying to ignore the icicles forming on my hand clutching the umbrella, and hurried up to the 65 street intersection, where I became hopelessly lost once again.  Where was Broadway on the other side of this knot of roads?  I cursed the hateful street it's twists and turns making me late.  

At last I made it to the theater - Broadway between 66th and 67th.  But wait, was a Catherine Deneuve film really playing at an AMC?  That didn't seem right - wasn't this an indie film?  I double checked the cinema's name - Lincoln Cinema.  That was it, wasn't it?  I walked inside, asked of a ticket to a Christmas Tale and paid for my ticket.  (Great, she'd given me a ticket - this was the right place!)

Shoving the ticket in my pocket I half-ran to towards the theaters.  I was halfway up the escalator before I looked at the ticket: Four Christmases.  What!?  I raced back down the escalator.  By the time I got back to the cashiers I was practically in tears.  They kindly gave me my money back and told me the theater I was looking for was at 63rd and Broadway.  

5 minutes til the movie started - I raced out the door, only to become once again hopelessly lost at the dreaded intersection.  Eyes blurry with tears and snow, I made it to the front of Lincoln Center searching for the cinema, after several failed attempts at following signs I took a deep breath and asked a man hurrying through the snow for directions.  He pointed across several lanes of traffic.  Somehow I had walked past it in my rush to get to the other theater and was now on a completely different street.  

The previews were over and the film had long since started by the time I shamefacedly slunk into the theater, squeezing past people and into the seat my friend had saved me.  

The moral of this story is that a little margin for error is never a bad thing, and for TBI survivors a large margin for error is advisable.  

As for the film, though my opinion could have something to do with the fact that I missed the beginning, I was not particularly impressed.  Though the acting was great, it seemed like the plot was somewhat unfocused and the character development was rather lacking.  It was quite unfortunate.  Thumbs down to  Un Conte de Noel

I went home and made caramel - I've been on a candy making kick lately.    It turned out really well.  Caramel may take time, timing, and stirring, but that just makes it more fun.  I definitely recommend this recipe:

CARAMEL
Ingredients:

  • 2 c. granulated sugar
  • 2 c. corn syrup
  • 1 stick butter (8 T)
  • 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 pt (2 c.) heavy cream

You will need:
  • -Large heavy-duty pan - it is extremely important that you use a heavy-duty pan.  If the pan is not heavy enough the caramel will burn or cook unevenly
  • -Candy thermometer
  • -9X13 well-greased pan

Candy Making!

1. Add corn syrup and sugar to the pan.  Place over high heat stirring constantly until well-mixed.  Then stir occasionally until boiling.
2. When at a roiling boil, add the butter
3 Place cream and sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan over medium heat.  Mix well and heat until hot (but not boiling)
4. Add milk mixture in a slow stream to the large pan stirring constantly, then stirring occasionally as the temperature rises.
5. When temperature reaches about 227 start stirring again and watch the mixture carefully (you don't want it to burn)
6. When the temperature reaches 230-235, the soft ball stage, then pour mixture into the greased pan. 
7. Let Caramel cool overnight and cut into pieces.  







3 comments:

  1. Maybe you should ask Santa for a GPS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dorothy,

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. You seem to be dealing with much the same stuff as I. The question always is, how to recover?

    I like the comment about needing to give those recovering from TBI a larger margin for error. The number of times I haven't done so myself - assumed I was just the same as before my accident - it's embarassing!

    But I guess we should always believe there's a road forward; a way to do things better. Best of luck with your further recovering; with your finding a road forward.

    Great to be in touch.

    Cheers,
    Mike

    P.S. I also like Skip's comment about using a GPS - another, more techenological, road forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as I've so often heard, recovery is a lifelong process. It's more learning to live with deficits and manage them, than a permanent solution. However, if you do find one I would love to hear it!

    It's definitely embarrassing, it's still extremely difficult for me not to beat myself up when I have a head injury-related gaff. Being around good, understanding friends helps so much, which is why I feel like raising awareness and good communication are so necessary.

    ReplyDelete