Monday, December 29, 2008

Miracles are Only a Massage Away


I reached over to hit snooze on my alarm when the pain hit.  My neck, rebelling against the movement, spasmed in agony.  I don't know if I somehow did headstands in my sleep or what, but I sure must have done something bizarre.  I soon came to realize that if I didn't turn my head then my neck was fine, just slightly stiff.  At last I managed to gingerly get ready and out the door, being extremely careful of my poor injured neck.  

I was fine all day, sitting in front of a computer. Unfortunately when I met up with K that night, it was a different story altogether.  I never realized how much neck movement is involved in a night out!

Saturday morning I felt a little better, I still had to support my head in my hand to get up, but the spasms  were gone, and I had a little more movement in my neck. www.lindatellingtonjones.com/ howtodoTTouch.shtml . Unfortunately when I went to Cirque du Soleil with J and his family that afternoon the soreness was back.  That evening at dinner I was telling J about the wonders of Ttouch, the Feldenkrais System, and healing massage.  Even after this involved explanation of the benefits of ttouch, I didn't think about using it on my own sore neck.  Sunday passed and though my neck was a little better, it was far from up to par.  Finally, I woke up Monday morning and started using ttouch on my neck.  After ten minutes, my neck was back to normal, and I was cursing myself for not thinking of something so obvious.

I first heard about ttouch, and the Feldenkrais system, on which it is based, through my riding instructor, a ttouch practitioner.  The basic ttouch, called the Clouded Leopard is as simple as it is effective.  I have seen it work on bruises, headaches, stress, flexibility, and so much more. You place the pads of your fingers lightly on the sore area and move them clockwise a circle and a quarter, taking about the amount of time it takes for one complete breath.  When one movement is complete move the fingers a few inches away making another, and another, moving along the body in a line.  When the line is complete stroke the line with the other hand, which should be resting by the hand completing the movements.

The Feldenkrais system truly works miracles, and I am certain that ttouch helped achieve results pronounced impossible for brain injury, strokes and injuries of all varieties. In 2004 Paul Bach-y-Rita Ph.D. M.D. Bach-y-Rita organized a highly effective program to help TBI and stroke survivors' recoveries.  http://www.feldenkrais.com/method/article/neuroplasticity_and_the_feldenkrais_method/

I strongly suggest looking into the healing massage, and especially the Feldenkrais system as a method for recovery.   My personal experience with ttouch, as well as everything I have read or heard about the Feldenkrais Method are all resounding endorsements of this method of therapy.   There is nothing to lose, and everything to gain....

3 comments:

  1. Please, look at
    tcnl.med.wisc.edu, CN-NINM section

    Yuri Danilov

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm extremely interested to learn more about breakthroughs and discoveries the Tactile Communication and Neurorehabilitation has made and future discoveries.

    ReplyDelete