Friday, March 27, 2009

First day in Lima


I don't have a whole lot of time to update.  As much as I love to travel it wears you out.  Thankfully my host, C, has been wonderful and has been giving me the opportunity to work naps into my days and has let me sleep a LOT in my first few days in South America.  
My flight left at 11:30 pm on the 24th.  After a 7-hour flight, my plane landed in Lima  at 6:30 a.m..  The taxi arrived at C's flat in Miraflores at 7:30 and I ended up sleeping until 10:30.  I woke up, enjoyed the lovely ocean view (which I am enjoying at this very moment), and took a shower. 


Refreshed and rejuvenated we went out for a fantastic lunch of ceviche, a delicious 
Peruvian seafood dish and Pisco sours, the Peruvian national drink.  


After lunch we went to the pre-Incan ruins of Huaca Pucllana and went on the tour.  I had never
 even heard of the Lima people and was fascinated to learn about this ancient people and the extraordinary earthquake-resistant design of their structures.  







On the tour I met two of the most unusual looking animals I had ever seen - Peruvian hairless dogs.  Reputed to cure asthma, arthritis, and rheumatism these dogs obviously made up for what they 
lacked in looks with their health benefits - I wondered if they would have miraculous powers assisting recovery from brain injury.






By the time the tour was over I was exhausted.  Kindly C let me go back to the apartment for a disco nap before going out that night.



Head injury or not, I love to travel, learn, and experience life to its fullest.  Survivors are capable of all of this.  However we must be absolutely sure to remember how exhausting travel can be and to get enough rest.  If we do not we will not be able to learn or enjoy these experiences no matter how wonderful they may be.  

7 comments:

  1. How very nice... You are living the life. How inspiring! So good you know what you need. We need to reflect to figure that out, so we can also be effective and thoroughly enjoy our lives! Would love to see pics of the food you eat! I'm getting pretty hungry! Ceviche sounds awesome! Safety first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much! When you have a chance I would love for you to join our online community at http://thebraintree.ning.com/

    We're creating a welcoming environment with advice, community, growth and ways to further improvement. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you these days? Haven't hear from you in over a week!!! Where are the food photos? :) KYC- yoods

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to reading your blog and have enjoyed learning from it. My son has a TBI (as well as my father and my husband) and i have a blog about my son and our family's journey with him after his accident. I am struggling with doctors and getting support from them as he is doing much better than they ever expected (almost as if they expect me to be happy with where he is now...sigh) I will be bck to read more with your blog! thank you for posting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sally!

    Thanks for posting the pictures and text from Lima. You look lovely in the photo with the bridge. :) Those pre-Incan ruins must've been quite the sight!

    My mom lived in Lima for a while during her childhood. So I'll show her the photos.

    You inspire me. I hope to see a Buenos Aires update soon.

    All the best as you continue your South American journey!

    Cheers,
    Niall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jodi,
    Thanks so much for reading and your comment. I have taken a little break while traveling in South America but am back blogging. I am so sorry to hear that you have so much first-hand experience with TBI. I am currently working on starting an NGO to help raise awareness, further recoveries, and I hope that soon we will be able to help some families financially as well. I would love to talk more with you and to read blog. So please email me when you have time at: overtherainbowandbackagain@gmail.com
    Look forward to hearing from you!

    Warmest wishes,
    Dorothy k

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can hardly blame you for having some overload, being in such beautiful environments. Get your rest! Your tbi friend, Timmy

    ReplyDelete