Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Animal Assisted Therapy


It was love at first sight.   I hadn't wanted a dog, my apartment didn't even allow them, but somehow I knew I had to have the little Jack Russell puppy.   

Last night was my first time volunteering as a dog walker with NYC Animal Care and Control. http://www.nycacc.org/contact.htm I wanted to volunteer and miss being around animals, so this seemed ideal.   I wasn't sure what to expect, but I do love animals and am generally good with them, so I wasn't worried.

It was dark before we started walking the dogs, and just to be on the safe side the project leader had the volunteers pair off in teams of two.  I was relieved. We were in the low hundreds - so close to the UES, but so far.   I have no experience with that area, and East Harlem looks pretty sketchy, especially at night.  

My partner D, an energetic Lebanese girl, did not have any experience with large dogs and was a little scared.   I couldn't blame her - I could easily see a large dog overpower the waify girl, who could easily have passed for a model, and run away.  The fact that 90% of the dogs there were pit bulls didn't ease her mind in the slightest.  The team leader suggested that we start out by walking a tan medium-sized pitbull mix who was curled up on her pillow in the far corner of her cage.  I took one glance at the poor thing shrinking back from our gaze; pinned ears, clamped tail and asked if we could walk another dog.  Any other dog.  

The first dog we walked was a puppyish chocolate pit bull with white markings.  Self assured and curious about everything, this dog was a charmer.  We put him back in his cage and asked a petite hispanic Animal Care employee which dog we should walk next.  The wiry woman flashed a smile and immediately suggested we take out the first dog our team leader suggested.  

"But she's so scared," I protested "Are you sure she's safe to take out?" 

The employee reassured me that this dog was gentle - she was just scared of the other dogs, and would be fine once we got her out.  With a sinking feeling, I watched the poor broken thing flinch as the collar slid over her head.   That walk nearly broke my heart - the poor thing struggled against the leash, her ears and tail pinched close to her body.  As soon as we got back the employee realized her mistake - this wreck of a dog had experienced unspeakable abuse and cruelty.  Without intense rehabilitation she wouldn't have a chance at being adopted.

Next we walked Brodie, a friendly-looking Rottweiler-mix who enthusiastically who wagged his feathered tail the entire route.  But the last dog we walked - he was the best.  Pepper was a  black 1 1/2 year old medium-sized lab mix.  He was soft, playful, eager to please, and the first really people-focused dog we'd met that night.  It was Pepper who reminded me of my little Jack Russell - my Klaus.  It was pepper who reminded me of  that wonderful pivotal moment in my recovery.  The day I met Klaus.


Though I had had a good recovery and was on the right track, even years after my brain chemistry was seriously affected.  Just like many survivors, I would go through periods of deepest depression, and indeed despair, and nothing would seem to help.  My diminished social skills, feelings of isolation, and tendency to turn inward only served to exacerbate matters.  Klaus changed all of that - having a being that loved me so completely, who I could love helped immeasurably.  Being miserable around such a happy, loving, snuggley puppy was all but impossible - if I was sad, he would snuggle with me until I was happy again.   

I truly view getting him as a turning point in my recovery.   This is not to say I did not continue to struggle with depression, or that animal therapy is the magical miracle cure, but I definitely think that it is a powerful weapon in the therapy arsenal.  Being able to develop a relationship with an animal is an excellent step towards rebuilding social skills and developing relationships with people, and I am not alone in this view.

The therapeutic, healing, and calming benefits of animal contact are widely acknowledged.  Today many hospitals and assisted living facilities have programs for dogs to visit the patients and residents.  This is a form of Animal Assisted Therapy.   This type of therapy is wonderful for TBI survivors, including encouraging empathy, socialization, decreasing stress, as well as many other psychological and physiological benefits.   http://bettyclooneyfoundation.org/servicesAnimal.html

I recommend getting an animal of your own so that you can develop a special bond.   However, if you are not able to have one, there are always opportunities.   For example, you can always volunteer at animal shelters, participate in Animal Assisted Therapy programs in your area, or play with friends' animals.   As with any type of therapy, this is not the answer for everyone, but in my humble opinion, it can't hurt to try.   

As always, I would love to hear any questions, comments, or stories you have...





3 comments:

  1. The K in Klaus is not for Kafka. He can't wait for his next walk and calls it "People Assisted Therapy." He is becoming talkative, too ("whnnn" -- "hmmmh" -- "ummph").

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about people who already had a dog? A dog, I would think, would refuse to acknowledge any personality change and continue to love its owner, regardless of the effects of the injury.

    It is sad that so many long term adult care institutions do not allow pets, citing 'sanitation' problems or some other such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful for people who already had dogs or cats. You're totally right, they won't judge you on lost social skills and give their unwavering love, which is so beneficial to the healing process, emotionally and physically.

    It really is awful that more long term care facilities don't allow pets. On a hopeful note more and more hospitals and long term care facilities are are starting to allow dogs to visit the patients. We can only hope that someday allowing residents to have pets, or animal areas will become standard.

    ReplyDelete