Monday, January 12, 2009

"Through Dangers Untold and Hardships Unnumbered"


The Labyrinth, and all of Jim Henson's movies were childhood favorites of mine.  There is one line in particular hits close to home.  "Through dangers untold, and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here...."  I often think of it, and believe it is extremely appropriate for life after brain injury.  It can be a constant struggle, to find you way through the labyrinthine medina of life with your new burden of deficits.  Far too often others discount your struggle, not realizing the dangers, landmines, and pitfalls lurking should you stray from the path. 


In my “Art and Arias” entry I recommend keeping your mind stimulated and constantly trying new things.  Though I stand by my words, I feel I must stress that it is a razor thin line survivors must walk between stimulation and overstimulation.  One millimeter to the left and fatigue can hit, burying you under an avalanche of deficits, one millimeter to the right and you will become bored, lose interest, and not reach your full potential.  Doctors and therapists tend to err on the side of safety, I firmly believe that they are right to build a strong foundation, however I am not sure that this is always the best way. 

Though it is not the safest or easiest route, but I would say I am where I am today because I
 pushed myself (maybe too hard) in this fashion.  In riding, my best and most satisfy
ing performances were always on that sliver of area.  It is that feeling that takes your breath away - you are just barely in control of the powerful animal, if something goes wrong then everything can go wrong -but it feels like flying.   It is just that same feeling of pushing yourself until you are just brushing the breaking point, but knowing when to take it back.  Unfortunately patience, perseverance, and frustration rather than than exhilaration, are what survivors have to look forward through the process.  


The old adage “if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again” is at the root of my philosophy.  Build solid a solid foundation and then try, try, and try again until you get it.  Sometimes you will have to leave what you are trying to accomplish and come back to it, but with persistence, the pathways will form.  When you have it adequately, it is imperative that you take a break; step back, take a breath and relax.  Learning will fatigue you faster than anything, be careful to listen to your body and  do not get in a hurry.  Giving yourself and your brain time to rest is possibly the most important part of the process, because this is the time it’s building and solidifying those pathways.  When you are well-rested and ready to go, then on to the next step – you will be amazed – what you once thought was impossible will become second nature.   


I marvel at the brain’s plasticity, it’s ability to grow, reshape, and reform itself, and the more research I do, and the more fascinated I become.  Until recently doctors thought that if a brain cell died, then that was it, but new findings show that new brain cells are constantly forming.  Recovery is a life long process, but this does not have to be a bad thing … you can always make progress.  The most important thing to remember is to never give up hope …  

2 comments:

  1. For you riding is both a metaphor & a therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on ya ! I experienced similar..and find that trying to live within todays society is .. difficult.
    It is inspiring to learn Im not the only one.
    My bestest horse was grey as well.

    ReplyDelete