Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sometimes All You Need is a Little Jumpstart

"Oh yes, I know about initiation problems.  Most days S would be perfectly happy if I let her sleep all day.  Is it that way with you?"  

"No, not really anymore" I told V.  My mind conveniently "misfiling" memory after memory of my starter breaking.   

I am torn as to whether it is a blessing or a curse, but even when I try to think of examples of TBI affecting my life, my mind will frequently bury all but the most ostentatious incidents.  On one hand it is good that I don't spend my time ruminating on these problems.  On the other, those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.  


Admittedly, things have gotten much better since writing, but I cannot call these memories up at will - I still need a reminder.  A reminder like finding myself facing the deficit again.  

I got home Friday evening with just enough time to change and get ready to go out and meet S.  I walked in the door with every intention of going out again, but the instant I sat down it was as if all will had been syphoned from me.  I hadn't seen S in months and we'd finally made a plan to meet up, but when she called the first words out of my mouth were whining about the weather.  After discussing it, we decided to postpone meeting up until late afternoon the next day. I had plans in her neighborhood anyway, it would work out perfectly.

It was cold, but canceling plans at the last minute goes against my entire ideology. (if she'd sounded excited about going I probably would have forced myself.)  And staying home alone on a Friday night?  I didn't cook.  I didn't bake. I didn't write.  I had a dinner of 2 pieces of cold pita and hummus, watched a film I had rented, I'm Not There, and went to bed early.

The next day I woke up around 10.  I didn't want to, but I glanced at the ridiculously long to do list by my bed, and willed myself to the shower.  I couldn't afford to give myself a lazy Saturday I had places to go and things to do:

-Follow up on a letter from the Social Security administration
Go to the library to 
-Return books, films, and get some writing done
-Look up Media Bistro and Toastmasters 
- Research TBI
- Send emails with TBI advice 
- Contact organizations
Buy
- 3 birthday presents
-  Adhesive for my full length mirror (despite the nails, it had fallen)
- Clothes hangers
- Groceries at a vegetarian supermarket in chinatown http://www.vegieworld.com/
Meet
- M for lunch
- S for tea and to give her a holiday present
- J for dinner and a movie
- Y for a dance party in Brooklyn

I showered with the best intentions for a productive day.  When I made it back my room, on the other hand, I saw my futon and all virtuous thoughts evaporated.  I pulled a fresh pair of pajamas (hey, work out clothes can double as pajamas) out of my closet, and fell into bed.  M's call at 11 didn't even wake me.  

When I woke around 12:30, my tummy was voicing its complaints.  I lay there for another hour, unable to move, not reading, not watching television, my mind a blank, until my stomach all but grabbed me by the shoulders, and pushed me into the kitchen.  When I opened the refrigerator door I realized my mistake.  I usually have quick and easy food in my fridge, but I hadn't gone shopping in a while.  I had eaten my last piece of pita bread the night before.  If I wanted to eat, I'd have to go out, order in, or actually prepare something.

I crossed the options off:  going out was out of the question, ordering in required a phone call, not to mention human interaction, and I certainly wasn't up to that, and no way was I going to prepare food.  What could I eat?  Finally made due with a piece of candied ginger, and two spoonfuls of crunchy peanut butter mixed with honey.  Yeah, I know.

When I got back to my room, I sent M a text message apologetically canceling, and went back to laying in bed.  A ship dead in the water, I could not get myself out of bed, I couldn't start anything.  Suddenly my conversation with V came flooding back along with memories of past initiation problems.  None of this helped.  My starter was broken - all I could do was lie there, phone by my side where I had dropped it after sending M the text.

M wrote back at 4:30, hoping I felt better, and minutes later S called to (thankfully) postpone our plans yet again, and I went back to my motivation dead zone.   

An hour later J texted me: "Pick you up at 7?"

Oh.  He was picking me up.  I couldn't weasel my way out using the weather as an excuse.  Not having enough energy, motivation, or drive even to try and think of another excuse, I typed two letters:  "OK"  Fine.  I was going to dinner at 7.

At 6:53 I looked at the clock.  "Oh," I thought to myself, "Now I really have to get ready."  I lurched up, pulled on some clothes, and was in the middle of hunting for my mascara, when J called to tell me he was a few blocks away.  

Thankfully my parents instilled a firm sense of obligation in me, or I wouldn't have been able to pull myself out of bed.  And thank goodness I am dating a boy who has a car and actually drags me out of my apartment, and kick-start me.

Initiation deficits are one of the more insidious of the TBI problems that I face.  It can affect all parts of your life.  Saturday was a good, albeit brief, example of what initiation deficits can do.  It is very odd, often I will want to do something and know that I need to, but won't be able to start the activity myself.  Be it doing laundry (even dropping it off at the laundromat), buying food, looking for a job, starting a new activity (even one I genuinely want to do), leaving for the concert, or whatever it might be.  Though frequently mistaken for it, initiation is not the same thing as procrastination.  In some instances the task just seems overwhelming, and the concept of starting it simply is beyond me.  On other occasions, I know what to do, and how to do it, but I simply can't get started.  

I wish that I could give advice on how to overcome initiation problems once and for all, I would love someone to enlighten me, or the magic fairy to wave her wand and keep me from getting "stuck."  Alas, all I can offer is how I cope.  

As I said, keeping my word, being on time, and reliable is extremely important to me.  Because of this, if a friend asks me to do something, be somewhere, or I have an appointment with them, I do everything in my power not to disappoint, and happily this can override even my problems with initiation.  

If it is not that way already, I would recommend making punctuality and keeping your appointments a priority.  The next step is to talk to your family and friends  about this issue and let them know ways they can help "jump-start" you.  It is almost never a big thing.  As far as starting projects, looking for work, or things of that nature often all it takes is a suggestion, or hearing about something from a new perspective.  For errands, your family or friends can recommend you do them together.  And for events, you can always just go with friends.  For me, at least, all it takes is pulling me out of the stuck place I'm in, and I am up and running.  It can even be hard to stop!

As always, I'd love to hear any questions, comments, or suggestions.  It would be great to hear your stories, and other ideas for coping with initiation problems....


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great site and the invitation to view it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lists are more useful if you coordinate them with the clock and the calendar. If I have trouble initiating today, I write the task on my calendar for tomorrow or 7 days hence, and then obey, as if the alarm clock had gone off. Likewise, the day's tasks can be alotted a time. Being ruled by the clock is no fun but its how sailors & schools & businesses get work done. Well, you asked for hints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand completely what you are saying.
    I feel like I get overwhelmed especially if I have so much I should be doing in so little time. Then I think I'll just do all of that later. I tend to be a busy body running around doing everything but at the end of the day I realize I didn't get anything I actually planned on doing that day done. So, I plan on doing it tomorrow and sometimes I do but sometimes I don't.
    I guess I always thought I was being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blog comment! I hope you won't beat yourself up for being lazy anymore. I think that happens with a lot of survivors.

    On the whole people don't understand a whole lot about brain injury and judge or blame survivors thinking they're being lazy, rude, cold, stubborn, and so on. To make things worse, often brain injury survivors will beat themselves up over these things. I know I did.

    If you beat yourself up about something like being lazy, when your inability to get started is actually because a initiation deficit it only makes things more difficult. Instead of addressing the real issue, and working to fix it (getting more rest, taking a deep breath, talking to a friend, freeing up your schedule, etc), you are creating more stress which may further overwhelm you. Hopefully now that you realize what's really going on, you can talk to your friends and family about this being an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I thought I was writing that.... I will not sleep, find some something to eat, possibly once a day, and then force myself to try and sleep, or just not face things at all....even though i have all intentions. My brain just doesnt work the way it should sometimes. I would love to talk more. I have some queestions etc, maybe some advice. I hate that I go "coma" at least 3-4 times a month for over 4 days. people think i am nuts, or flakey, or crazy, or a princess, they dont understand : (

    Thank you.
    Larak

    ReplyDelete